In September 2014 a production process audit was carried out at the Nowa Szkoła works by MPM Productivity Management and by Lodz Polytechnic.
The audit covered the following areas:
- Machinery layout and flow of goods.
- Prodution planning with special attention to the evaluation of the rough cut capacity planning system and scheduling.
- Influence of volume and mix on production organization.
- Identification of environmental aspects, including the identification of negative environmental impact with special regard to waste management.
- Personnel management – evaluation of work organization, personnel qualifications + their duties and responsibilities, circulation of information and documents at the workplace.
- Analysis of readiness for 5S implementation (workplace evaluation).
- Quality management system (evalution of the implementability of ISO 9001:2012 quality management system and of TQM principles along the Polish Quality Award model).
Each of the audits ended with a status report.
Additionally, a report with recommendations for each area was drawn up. Their implementation at the Nowa Szkoła works has improved the efficiency of the wood shop and its machinery (beam saw, Alberti-CNC machine tool and Roxyl edgebander), as well as reducing production and cutting waste.
On implementing the audit recommendations the wood shop efficiency increased by 84% (with the average two-months‘ output as the measurement unit – March/April 2013 and October/November). For machinery efficiency the following increases were observed: beam saw: 66% to 67,2%, Albert-CNC machine tool: 86% to 91,1%, Roxyl edgebander: 66% to 73%. In addition, we have managed to reduce production waste (0.40% to 0.38%) and cutting waste (15% to 13%).